College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences
Department of Liberal Arts
Bachelor of Arts in English
Student Learning Outcome Assessment
Students graduating from the Bachelors of Arts in English Program will be competent in the following areas:
- Demonstrate experience and expertise to write effectively in a variety of modes.
- Demonstrate a deeper understanding of grammar, syntax, diction, style and other elements of written and spoken English.
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of the social and cultural importance of literature and the literary heritage of the past.
- Demonstrate an understanding of critical standards for the evaluation of literature, based on comprehension of concepts including genre, style, the vocabulary of literary criticism, and the theorists of representative schools of criticism, both historical and contemporary.
- Exhibit skills in communicating and supporting their ideas, both in traditional ways (the writing of essays, making oral presentations), as well as by using virtual (digital) technologies.