(On Phone/Computer: Open the download to listen)
Hear past shows on SoundCloud
Listen to the celebration of our welcoming home Che-Raina Warner, our Miss UVI Ambassadorial Queen and now the new National Miss National Black Alumni Hall of Fame (NBCA) Hall of Fame proudly reigning from the ONLY HBCU outside of the continental U.S.!!! #ProudWeAre #UVIpride
CLICK HERE to listen on a new page or press the orange play button below:
Recent recordings from live events: Voices that Count: 1 | 2
Connect with us on FACEBOOK || INSTAGRAM || TWITTER @wuviam1090 &
TAKE US WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU GO:
WUVI AM 1090/97.3 FM* Student Radio Station of the Virgin Islands!
"The Voice of the University!" With stations on both St. Thomas (STT) and St. Croix (STX) campuses, we are training tomorrow's broadcast personalities, engineers and owners. Listen in live and support the growth of our students!
ON AIR NUMBER: 340-643-1090
Current Shows & Sales Rates
- Programming Schedule (New shows coming October 14th! Schedule changes on a semester basis, with some permanent shows*)
- Sales Rate Sheet (New packages coming in October!)
- Audio Production Rates = $75/hr
SPRING 2016 | STUDENT/FACULTY SHOWS (St. Thomas & St. Croix)
|Mon & Thur
||01:00 - 03:00 pm
Dr. Chenzira Davis Kahina
||10:00 - 10:30am
||SBDC Biz Showcase
||Mary Jo Williams
||10:30 - 11:00am
||Our Islands, Our Sea, Our Lives
||Carrie Jo Bucklin
||03:00 - 03:30 pm
||Prof. Doug Iannucci
||01:30 - 02:30 pm
||On the Clock Sports Talk
||Kyle Murphy & Corey Hanley
||03:00 - 04:00 pm
||What's Going on @UVICES
||DaraMonifah Cooper & Christina Chanes
||03:00 - 03:30 pm
||Profs. Patricia Harkins-Pierre & Linda Whymer
||09:00 - 12:00 pm
||Eye on the VI
||04:00 - 06:00 pm
||DaraMonifah Cooper & School-aged Youth
HIGHLIGHT: NEW SHOW!!!
Hosted by Alecia Wells and Lawrence Boschulte, and co-hosted by Atanya Springette and Raven Phillips Love. The ultimate goal of the show was to feature interesting people from our private, non-profit, and public organizations that are making a positive difference in the V.I. community.
Just Us’ core purpose was, and is, to build a sense of community and improve the lives of those that reside within it.
In keeping with our original philosophy of shining the light on individuals with positive messages and accomplishments, none of our guests are ever charged a fee to appear on our show to share issues of concern within the community, or to promote their personal and professional accomplishments.
ABOUT US | MISSION | HISTORY
WUVI broadcasts on 1090 Khz on the AM dial with license to operate in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. It operates 12 hours a day, 365 days a year, utilizing student and community volunteer operators. The Communication Department currently offers a comprehensive program in different aspects of radio production and station operations.
WUVI-AM is an affiliate of the Pacifica Foundation and carries some of its more acclaimed programs, including Democracy Now.
Among the programs that are on WUVI is the Tom Joyner Morning show, now being hosted by WUVI from 6am to 10 AM every morning. With lots of integrated local content, the university is home of Tom Joyner in the eastern Caribbean. WUVI mainly features local and regional music and local news as well as lots of the high caliber information that the University brings to the community – symposia, workshops and special events, guest lecturers will all be made available to the whole community through WUVI.
WUVI is run primarily by UVI communication students under the supervision of a station manager and a Culture and Educational director under a Title III grant. The Station has an on-call engineer available for technical support. Management and staff are all under the supervision of the Project Director, the Chairperson of UVI’s Department of Communication, Art and Theatre, or a designated faculty advisor. Information on current Management Staff will be disseminated by the Station Manager.
Student staff are normally required to register for the appropriate radio communication course offered during the semester in order perform management roles and other duties essential to operation.
• To strengthen the University’s communication program by providing students with educational experience in a professional broadcasting environment, one that serves the community with excellent informational, entertainment, and educational media through radio;
• To bring the University closer to the Virgin islands community through programs with educational and informational University content.
• To help preserve and promote the cultural heritage of the Virgin Islands and the larger Caribbean, through local culture-focused programming and through the digitization and archiving of locally produced music and other audio content.
WUVI AM 1090 was created under the leadership of Dr. Alexander Randall, Chairperson of UVI’s Department of Communication, Art and Theatre, and run by UVI’s top communication students. It uses a 250-watt transmitter that was formerly used by WGOD AM and broadcasts on AM 1090 with a signal that covers the USVI, the BVI and reaches all the way to Dominica and Puerto Rico. With strong support from UVI President David Hall, and with a Title III award funding, this new radio station materialized “out of thin air to on-the-air”—from a mere idea to a fully functional, real-time radio presence in the Virgin Islands community.
- PAST LIVE STREAMED EVENTS:
- Thurs, Mar 17th 1-2:30p Accreditation Town Hall Meeting from ACC, St. Thomas/St. Croix
- Fri, Mar 18th 10-11:30a Official UVI Charter Day Ceremony from ACC, St. Thomas/St. Croix
- Sat, Mar 19th 7-10p Jazz on Water Island with Jacqui Naylor from Providence Point, Water Island
- Sun, Mar 20th 12-5 Afternoon on the Green from UVI Herman E. Moore Golf Course, St. Thomas
- Mon, Mar 21st 4-5p Thurgood Marshall College Fund Representatives from WUVI, St. Thomas
- Tues, Mar 22nd 10-10:45a 2nd Biennial Conference on Music & Arts from ACC, St. Thomas
- Wed, Mar 23rd 3-4p Thurgood Marshall College Fund Representatives from WUVI, St. Croix
- Sat, Mar 26th 6-10p Miss UVI Ambassadorial Competition from Reichhold Center, St. Thomas
- Tues, Mar 29th 5:30-7:30p Racial Profiling Discussion from ACC, St. Thomas/St. Croix
- Thurs, Mar 31st 5-7p International Public Relations Consultant to Speak | Weiss Hall, St. Thomas/St. Croix
Other permanent local, national and international shows include:
- Tom Joyner Morning Show | Mondays - Saturdays 6am - 10am
- Democracy Now! | Mondays - Fridays 12 - 1pm
- VI Caribbean Culture Notes | Mondays/Thursdays 1-3pm | Host: Dr. Chenzira Davis Kahina, Director - UVI Caribbean Cultural Center
- SBDC Small Business Showcase | Mondays 10 - 10:30am | Host: UVI's Small Business Development Center
- Our Islands, Our Sea, Our Lives | Mondays 10:30 - 11am | Host: VI-EPSCoR's Carrie Bucklin
- What's Going on @UVICES | Wednesdays 3-4pm/Saturdays 12-1pm | Hosts: DaraMonifah Cooper & Christina Chanes
- UVI Insider | Wednesdays 4-5pm | Host: Patrice Harris
- Math Mondays | Tuesdays 3pm | Host: Professor Doug Iannucci
- Literacy Moment | Fridays 3pm | Hosts: Professors Patricia Harkins-Pierre & Linda Wymer
- Eye on the V.I. | Saturdays 9-12pm | Host: Christina Chanes
Mailing and Physical Address
Penha House | 2nd Floor
University of the Virgin Islands
#2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, VI 00802
On campus phone numbers:
340-693-1670 (STT) or 340-692-4292 (STX)
Pin your current location to our NEW Listnership Map. Click HERE to learn how.
- Dr. Alexander Randall, V | Faculty Advisor | email@example.com
- DaraMonifah Cooper | Station Manager | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Chenzira Davis Kahina (STX) | Culture and Education Director | email@example.com
- Gabriel Wilson | Student Station Manager
- Nathalie TrowMcDonald | Student News Director
- Jay Skeete | Student Production Manager
- D'Ajahni Estrada-Petersen |Student PR Manager