WUVI AM 1090/97.3 FM* Student Radio Station of the Virgin Islands!
We are excited to share with you WUVI AM 1090, the University of the Virgin Islands’ very own student-run radio station! "The Voice of the University!" With stations on both St. Thomas (STT) and St. Croix (STX) campuses, we are training tomorrow's broadcast personalities, engineers and owners. Listen in live on AM 1090 or our online stream and support the growth of our students or take us with you wherever you go by subscribing to our podcasts or downoad our WUVI.AM app!
Take a Look at Our Current Shows:
Mailing and Physical Address
Penha House | 2nd Floor
University of the Virgin Islands
#2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, VI 00802
On campus phone numbers:
340-693-1670 (STT) or 340-692-4292 (STX)
WUVI ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF & TITLES
***Reach us all directly by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org***
- Dr. Alexander Randall, V | Faculty Advisor | email@example.com
- DaraMonifah Cooper | Station Manager/Programming Manager | ProgramManager.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christina Chanes | Sales Manager | Sales.email@example.com
- Dr. Chenzira Davis Kahina (STX) | Culture and Education Director | firstname.lastname@example.org
Pin your current location to our NEW Listnership Map. To learn how click HERE.
Other permanent local, national and international shows include:
- Tom Joyner Morning Show | Mondays - Saturdays 6am - 10am
- Democracy Now! | Mondays - Fridays 12 - 1pm
- VI Caribbean Culture Notes | Mondays/Thursdays 1-3pm | Host: Dr. Chenzira Davis Kahina, Director - UVI Caribbean Cultural Center
- SBDC Small Business Showcase | Mondays 10 - 10:30am | Host: UVI's Small Business Development Center
- What's Going on @UVICES | Wednesdays 3-4pm/Saturdays 12-1pm | Hosts: DaraMonifah Cooper & Christina Chanes
- Math Mondays | Mondays 3pm | Host: Professor Doug Iannucci
- Literacy Moment | Fridays 3pm | Hosts: Professors Patricia Harkins-Pierre & Linda Wymer
- Eye on the V.I. | Saturdays 9-12pm | Host: Christina Chanes
- Sankofa Saturdays | Saturdays 4-6pm | Hosts: DaraMonifah Cooper & local school children
FALL 2015 | STUDENT SHOWS (St. Thomas & St. Croix)
||11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
||On the Clock Sports Talk
||Kyle Murphy, Corey Hanley, Bransen Dillon
||04:00 PM – 06:00 PM
||11:00 AM – 11:30 AM
||Cheddi Rogers and Augustus Laurencin
||01:00 PM – 02:00 PM
||02:00 PM – 03:00 PM
||Caribbean News Connection
||11:00 AM – 11:30 AM
||05:00 PM – 07:00 PM
||Turn Up Show
||Michael McFarlane (DJ Temp)
ABOUT US | MISSION | HISTORY
WUVI broadcasts on 1090 Khz on the AM dial with license to operate in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. It operates 12 hours a day, 365 days a year, utilizing student and community volunteer operators. The Communication Department currently offers a comprehensive program in different aspects of radio production and station operations.
WUVI-AM is an affiliate of the Pacifica Foundation and carries some of its more acclaimed programs, including Democracy Now.
Among the programs that are on WUVI is the Tom Joyner Morning show, now being hosted by WUVI from 6am to 10 AM every morning. With lots of integrated local content, the university is home of Tom Joyner in the eastern Caribbean. WUVI mainly features local and regional music and local news as well as lots of the high caliber information that the University brings to the community – symposia, workshops and special events, guest lecturers will all be made available to the whole community through WUVI.
WUVI is run primarily by UVI communication students under the supervision of a station manager under a Title III grant. The Station has an on-call engineer available for technical support. Management and staff are all under the supervision of the Project Director, the Chairperson of UVI’s Department of Communication, Art and Theatre, or a designated faculty advisor. Information on current Management Staff will be disseminated by the Station Manager.
Student staff are normally required to register for the appropriate radio communication course offered during the semester in order perform management roles and other duties essential to operation.
• To strengthen the University’s communication program by providing students with educational experience in a professional broadcasting environment, one that serves the community with excellent informational, entertainment, and educational media through radio;
• To bring the University closer to the Virgin islands community through programs with educational and informational University content.
• To help preserve and promote the cultural heritage of the Virgin Islands and the larger Caribbean, through local culture-focused programming and through the digitization and archiving of locally produced music and other audio content.
WUVI AM 1090 was created under the leadership of Dr. Alexander Randall, Chairperson of UVI’s Department of Communication, Art and Theatre, and run by UVI’s top communication students. It uses a 250-watt transmitter that was formerly used by WGOD AM and broadcasts on AM 1090 with a signal that covers the USVI, the BVI and reaches all the way to Dominica and Puerto Rico. With strong support from UVI President David Hall, and with a Title III award funding, this new radio station materialized “out of thin air to on-the-air”—from a mere idea to a fully functional, real-time radio presence in the Virgin Islands community.