College of Science & Mathematics
Master of Science in Marine & Environmental Science
It is IMPERATIVE that applicants follow directions precisely to ensure that applications reach the correct UVI program and are processed on time. If an applicant has any questions about the application process, s/he should contact the MMES Program Director at (340) 693-1427 or email@example.com.
Application due date and decision timeline:
- Complete applications for this program, including recommendations, must be received by March 1 of every year (or the following business day if the date falls on a weekend or holiday). Applications received after this date may not receive full consideration.
- Applicants will be notified via email when a complete application has been received.
- The MMES admission committee will meet shortly after the March 15 deadline. We expect to contact applicants by April 15 with application decisions. Those who are accepted will be asked to respond to the offer of admission by May 1. If a space becomes available, waitlisted candidates are accepted in the order they are ranked.
Checklist of admission requirements:
- Completed printable version of UVI's Graduate Application mailed to MMES Graduate Program Coordinator at the address below.
- Personal statement (PDF) and Program Application (PDF) submitted directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Three (3) letters of recommendation (PDF), submitted on the official PDF form directly to email@example.com. It is your responsibility to ensure that your recommenders submit letters of recommendation by the deadline date. (Note: Do not use a service, such as Interfolio, to send the recommendations as our recommendation cover form asks about the candidate in more detail.)
- Official transcripts of all previous academic work at the undergraduate (and graduate, if appropriate) level, including proof that the applicant has successfully completed a baccalaureate degree sent directly to the MMES Program Director (not to the UVI main admissions office) by the undergraduate institution (see address below).
Mailing address to which to send transcripts (note that mail takes approximately one to two weeks longer to arrive in the Virgin Islands than on the mainland; therefore, we strongly urge applicants to request transcripts at least one to two months before the application deadline):
MMES Program Director
Marine Science Center (MSC)
The University of the Virgin Islands
8266 John Brewer’s Bay
St. Thomas, USVI 00802-6025
If an applicant is completing her/his degree at the time of application and if s/he is accepted to the Masters program, s/he will have to produce proof of having been awarded a baccalaureate degree prior to being allowed to matriculate.
It is highly recommended that applicants would have completed the following coursework within the past ten (10) years:
- Three (3) semesters of some combination of General Biology and General Chemistry, including at least one semester of Biology
- One (1) semester of Calculus and one (1) additional semester of Calculus or a course in the area of applied mathematics, biostatistics, statistics, and quantitative research methods
- Additional suggested courses include upper level Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics or other social science coursework.
Individuals without the stated coursework are invited to contact the Program Director to discuss their background and preparation for the program.
- GRE general test scores sent directly to UVI (institutional code: 0879) to arrive by the application deadline (USVI GRE test-takers, click here for more information)
- Proof of English competency for international students for whom English is not a first language, such as TOEFL scores.
- A Résumé may be submitted if the applicant has substantial work experience relevant to the program.
The MMES program welcomes international applicants.
Please read the International Student Manual for additional application directions (PDF document and form) and contact the MMES Program Director.
The MMES program welcomes inquiries from potential transfer applicants. Please contact the MMES Program Director. The following policy, as stated in the UVI Graduate Bulletin, p.2 (17 of 56), applies:
4. A maximum of six graduate credits earned at another university or college may be accepted towards the fulfillment of the requirements for a graduate degree. Only credits earned within the last five years at a grade no lower than B will qualify for acceptance under this regulation. Students should request that an official copy of their graduate transcript be sent to the Admissions Office for consideration of courses to be transferred.
Potential transfer applicants should note that transfer credits may only be counted towards electives, and may not replace any of the first year core courses of the MMES program.