The University is governed by the Board of Trustees, which, under the provisions of Title 17, Chapters 33 and 35 of the Virgin Islands Code, serves in a dual capacity:
- As a body politic and corporate for the purpose of exercising general management and control of the affairs of the University (17, V.I.C. Section 453); and
- As a body politic and corporate for the purpose of managing and exercising the powers conferred upon the Fund (17 V.I.C. Section 492)
The Board consists of seventeen voting trustees:
- Ex-Officio: The Chair of the Board of Education of the Virgin Islands, The Commissioner of Education of the Virgin islands and the President of the University
- Public Members: Nine public members shall serve on the Board who are appointed by the Governor with advice and consent of the Legislature
- Trustees Elected by the Board: Two members of the Board shall be elected by the Board
- Trustees Elected by the Student Body and the Teaching Faculty: One member of the Board shall be elected by the student body, and one shall be elected by the teaching faculty of the University.
- Trustee Elected by the Alumni Association: One member of the Board shall be elected by the UVI Alumni Association
The Trustees meet three times a year: March, June and October.
- Office of the Board of Trustees
- Administration and Conference Center
- 3rd Floor Room 323
- 340-693-1008 (phone)
- 340-693-1014 (fax)