Index of Approved Resolutions, Actions & Policies
Board Policy Development
As is customary with college and university governing boards, the UVI Board of Trustees has adopted formal guidelines and procedures for the development and approval of University policies consistent with its authority (UVI Bylaws, Article II, Section 4). These include but are not limited to the following:
- Authorizing the administration to conduct feasibility studies that are designed to result in policy statements on a variety of topics related to the mission, organization, programs, and operation of the University.
- Establishing special committees and commissions to develop position papers and recommendations that have policy implications.
- Accepting for review, consideration, and adoption policies recommended by the President of the University.
- Directing proposed policies to appropriate standing or special committees of the Board for review and recommendations.
- Placing proposed policies on the agenda of the Board meetings for discussion, review and action.
- Assuring that proposed policies have been carefully researched and documented and are given sufficient time for review and reaction by the Board before formal adoption.
- Charging the President of the University with the dissemination, and implementation of policies adopted by the Board.
- Adopting a time frame for the periodic review of policy statements to assure that they are timely, relevant, and consistent with the needs of the University.
Excerpted from UVI Board of Trustees Manual - Approved June 12, 2010