Initial placement in college-level courses is based upon SAT/ACT scores and/or college transcripts. Guidelines for placement testing follow.
- Students who score 490 on the SAT-Math, or 20 ACT-Math, may enroll in college level math classes and do not need to take the math placement test.
- Students who score 500 on the Critical Reading section and 500 on the Writing section of the SAT Reasoning test, or 21 on the ACT English of or English/Writing Test may enroll in college level English and do not need to take the English placement test.
- Students who have passed college courses in English composition and/or mathematics may enroll in appropriate courses on the recommendation of their advisers.
- Students who have completed an earned Associates or higher degree may enroll in college level courses.
- Students who score less than 500 on the Critical Reading section and 500 on the Writing section of the SAT or less than 21 on the ACT English or English/Writing Test may enroll in college-level course if they pass the respective placement test. Placement testing is usually given the first day of New Student Orientation in the fall and spring and monthly during the summer.
Guidelines for placement into developmental level courses are the following:
- Students who do not meet any of the criteria indicated in the guidelines above.
- Students who do not provide official SAT or ACT scores.
It is required that students pass both English 100-WAC 011 and English 101-RCA 021 before taking English 120.
Spring 2016 Placement Dates Now available at http://cell.uvi.edu/programs/placement-testing.aspx
The tests are computer-based. A valid picture ID and UVI student number is required. Calculators are NOT permitted in the math placement test. A math preparation guide is available at http://tinyurl.com/UVImathplacement. For reading and writing, sample tests can be found at www.accuplacer.org.
For further information about the English placement test contact Linda Wymer at email@example.com. Further information about the mathematics test contact Chasda Clendinen at firstname.lastname@example.org.