Student Activities Offices on the St. Thomas and St. Croix
campuses of the University of the Virgin Islands will host a
Student Leadership Conference on Jan. 17-18 on St. Thomas. The
conference goal is to provide opportunities for student leaders to
participate in leadership training and improve their professional
development. Students holding leadership or executive positions in
campus clubs, student government and other organizations will
participate. Approximately 22 students from the St. Croix campus
and 75 from the St. Thomas campus are expected.
Jonathan Sprinkles, a noted author and motivational speaker will present the conference keynote address titled "Jumpstart your leadership with L.I.V.E - How to live like a real leader." Sprinkles was named the 2006 College Speaker of the Year by the Association for the Promotion of Campus Activities.
Other guest presenters include V.I. Senator Usie R. Richards, UVI Counseling Supervisor Verna Rivers and Xaulanda Emmanuel-Simmonds, a public relations specialist for the Juan Luis Hospital on St. Croix.
The conference will be held from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday in UVI's Administration and Conference Center on the St. Thomas campus.
Among the goals participants will be working on are:
• acquiring tools to motivate organization members and reduce apathy
• defining a plan of action for improving professional skills
• learning skills to become more effective leaders
• learning strategies for holding effective meetings
• discovering individual personal leadership styles
• developing personal vision
• examining strategies for team building and collaboration
In a separate session, Student Government Association officers
• review common issues impacting both campuses
• plan inter-campus activities
• discuss the Shared Governance concept
This conference is sponsored by the UVI Student Activities Offices on St. Thomas and St. Croix. It is co-sponsored by the Campus Executive Administrators and Student Government Associations on both campuses, the President's Office through the Leapfrog Program, and the Office of Institutional Advancement. For more information, contact the UVI Student Activities Offices - 693-1111 on St. Thomas and 692-4228 on St. Croix.