Members of the UVI community on the St. Croix and St. Thomas campuses will mark Red Ribbon Week with public marches, walks, a rally, blood drives, motivational presentations, competitions and other activities from Monday, Oct. 25, through Friday, Oct. 29. Red Ribbon Week is part of a nationwide awareness campaign designed to prevent alcohol, tobacco and drug abuse and violence. It is observed annually in October.
UVI's Health Services Office on the St. Croix campus will open the week's activities with a march and rally against drug abuse at 5 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 25. Marchers, who will begin at the entrance to Palm Drive, will be led by the St. Croix Central High School Marching Band. Also featured will be the St. Croix Central High School Majorettes and the UVI Dance Squad. The first 100 participants will receive a free gift. The activity will also include a demonstration by the V.I. Police Department's K9 Unit and a visit by McGruff the Crime Dog.
On the St. Thomas campus, the theme will be "My Future Is Bright, I'm Drug Free." Activities are scheduled for each day, with a highlight being a walk/rally and speak-out against substance abuse and crime at 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 27. Participants will march behind the AY Drum Corps from the Lindberg Bay Police Station to the Recreational Center on the UVI campus. A forum and open mic will follow.
The first 100 participants will receive a free t-shirt. Another
highlight will be a presentation by UVI Student Peer Educators and
law enforcement officers from 8 to 10 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 28, at
the Dining Pavilion.
Red Ribbon Week schedules follow. For details on St. Croix activities contact Irene Hatchett-Sealey at (340) 692-4208 in the Health Services Office. On St. Thomas, contact Leon Lafond at (340) 693-1120 in the Student Affairs Office.
St. Croix Campus Red Ribbon Week Activities
- Monday, Oct. 25 - March and rally at 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 26 - A blood drive from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. outside the Student Activity Center. A Health Services open house is slated for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. HIV testing is scheduled at the Health Services Center in the Great House from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 27 - Red Ribbon Week Jeopardy will be hosted by David Capriola in the Cafetorium from 12:15 p.m. to 12:50 p.m. A blood drive will be conducted outside the Student Activity Center from 3 to 6 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 29 - A door decorating contest is scheduled.
St. Thomas Campus Red Ribbon Week Activities
- Monday, Oct. 25 - Wear Red & Pledge Against Drugs Day. Make a pledge to be drug free and collect a red ribbon token at the Dining Pavilion or Classroom Administration Building from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 26 - Drug-Free Decoration Day Contest (Best Decorated Area): UVI Offices and organizations are encouraged to decorate their areas based on the week's theme. Judging is at 10 a.m. To sign up please call or visit the Student Affairs Office at (340) 693-1120 or the Student Activities Center at (340) 693-1111.
- Wednesday, Oct. 27 - Walk/Rally & Speak Out Against Substance Abuse and for Crime Prevention. The walk begins at 4:45 p.m. at the Lindberg Bay Police Station. The walk will conclude at the UVI Recreational Center at the back of the golf course where the speak-out will be held. To sign up for the Open Mic contest contact the Student Affairs Office at (340) 693-1120/1121 or the Student Activities Center.
- Thursday, Oct. 28 - Student Peer Educators (SPE) & Public Safety presentation, from 8 to 10 p.m. in the Dining Pavilion. Presenters will include LaVelle Campbell, a motivational speaker for at-risk individuals in crisis, and V.I. Police Lieutenant Alva Chesterfield.
- Friday, Oct. 29 - Weird Costume Contest and Karaoke from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Dining Pavilion. The individual with the best drug-free, red outfit will win $50.