The University of the Virgin Islands will conduct its first annual UVI Research Day on Saturday, April 14, 2012. The event will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Sports and Fitness Center on UVI's St. Thomas campus and from 9 a.m. until noon in the Great Hall on the Albert A. Sheen Campus on St. Croix.
UVI Research Day will showcase research conducted by UVI faculty, staff and students. It will feature displays and scheduled round table sessions designed to engage the public in discussions about UVI research.
"Great universities do great research," said Dr. Frank Mills, director of UVI's Eastern Caribbean Center (ECC). "People don't know what kinds of research UVI does."
The Eastern Caribbean Center's social research unit compiles and analyzes social and economic data, and also supports and extends the work of the U.S. Bureau of the Census. Units such as the ECC, as well as UVI's colleges and schools, will display reports, documents, books and magazines featuring their past and current research.
In addition to the ECC, UVI areas that will display their research include the Center for Marine and Environmental Studies (CMES), Agricultural Experiment Station (AES), Virgin Islands Marine Advisory Service (VIMAS), Caribbean Exploratory Research Center (CERC), the College of Science and Mathematics, the School of Education, and the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
UVI employees who are engaged in research collaborations with other entities will also display their research. Scheduled roundtable sessions will be led by knowledgeable presenters, and attendees at the sessions will be asked to participate in the discussions. See roundtable topics and times below.
UVI Research Day is the perfect opportunity for organizations, government, businesses and the general public to see and understand the types of basic and sponsored research that is being conducted at UVI. Additionally, public and non-public high school teachers are invited to come and enhance their knowledge of formal research, and their students who might be interested in student life at UVI and student research are equally welcome.
inaugural publication featuring the abstracts and authors of
current UVI research will be compiled. For information about UVI
Research Day, please contact Dr. Mills by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (340)
Roundtable Topics - Times:
- Government - Non Profit Partnerships - 9 a.m. to 9: 50 a.m.
- Insight and Action for Student Success - 10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.
- A Rendezvous with the Horseman of Death: The Virgin Islands and Crime - 10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.
- Census 2010: Our Declining Population - Noon to 12:50 p.m.
- The Lionfish Invasion of the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Current state of knowledge and investigating the impact on reef fish population - 1 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.
- Health Disparities Research in the Virgin Islands - 1 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.
- Creating Our Future I - 2 p.m. to 2:50 p.m.
- The Net Generation - 10 a.m. to 10: 50 a.m.
- Hurricane Wind Tolerant Papaya Lines - 10 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.
- Floral Induction of Greenhouse Grown Pineapple (Ananas comosus) - 11 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.
- Creating our Future II - 11 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.