As part of efforts to strengthen the research environment in the Virgin Islands, VI-EPSCoR is investing in research infrastructure at the University of the Virgin Islands, including renovations of research facilities and upgrading of research equipment and IT infrastructure. VI-EPSCoR is transforming the USVI into a great place from which to conduct marine and environmental research.
Current investments include:
- A new environmental lab and a new data facility on the UVI St. Thomas campus;
- Upgraded seawater systems at the MacLean Marine Science Center on St. Thomas and VIERS on St. John;
- Renovated boat dock, ramp, and storage at MacLean Marine Science Center;
- New research vessels and equipment, including ocean observing platforms;
- Broadband connectivity and Internet2 to UVI campuses on St. Croix and St. Thomas;
- An environmental web portal to support local and regional environmental research, education, and outreach.
- New UVI Environmental Analysis Laboratory Expands Research Capability of the Virgin Islands