Title III Programs
The University of the Virgin Islands has partnered with the U.S. Department of Education (USED) since 1968 through the Department's Title III, Part B-Strengthening Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) program.
A discretionary grant program that is awarded pursuant to a formula, the Title III, Part B grants provide financial assistance to HBCUs to assist in establishing or strengthening their physical plants, financial management, academic resources, and endowments. In 2010, the program was expanded by the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act (SAFRA), which provided additional funds to HBCUs and Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs).
Through the use of Title III and SAFRA funds, UVI has:
- helped to develop its Strategic Plan for the period 2012-2017-Pathways to Greatness
- established a Center for Student Services that combines institutional efforts toward student retention, persistence and graduation;
- established an instructional presence on the island of St. John to better serve residents of that island that are students or potential students of UVI;
- developed and offered a new course in Geographic Information Systems that is cross-listed in the College of Science and Mathematics and the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences;
- developed new multidisciplinary minors in environmental science and health science;
- upgraded the equipment in the Chemistry Department in order to better be prepared for American Chemical Society certification of the program;
- developed a building on the St. Thomas campus to house the music department; and
- developed and expanded an Office of Sponsored Programs to centralize the acquisition and management of externally funded research, teaching and service activities.
Current Title III and SAFRA projects include:
- Integrated Approach to Academic Growth & Student Success
- Comprehensive Faculty Development Program
- It's all About the Students
- Enhancing Environmental and Health Sciences
- Preparing Students for Broadcasting Journalism & Production
- UVI Learning Space Enhancement
- Integrating Learning Resources for Sustainability
- Expanding Opportunities for STEM Majors on the Albert A. Sheen Campus
Office Location: ACC 224
Fax number: (340) 693-1060