The Virgin Islands Legislature, by Act No. 5358, has provided that certain senior citizen residents of the United States Virgin Islands may enroll in regularly scheduled courses at the University of the Virgin Islands free of charge to the senior citizens. Regularly scheduled courses are those that appear in the fall, spring, or summer schedules of classes.
Proof of Status: To be eligible for waiver of tuition and fees, persons seeking the Senior Citizen Education Program must meet the following criteria:
1. Be at least 60 years of age, as verified by the senior citizen ID card issued by the United States Virgin Islands Department of Human Services, and
2. Be a resident of the United States Virgin Islands for at least one year.
Registration Procedures for the Senior Citizen Education Program
Persons may be enrolled as matriculated or non-matriculated students. In order to qualify as matriculated students, individuals must apply for admission and must meet the admissions requirements of the university. Non-matriculated students may take courses for which they meet the prerequisites. Non-matriculated students are limited to only part-time study.
1. Senior Citizen Education Program students will register during the late registration period for courses for which they qualify that have space available. Priority will be given to those persons enrolled in programs administered by the United States Virgin Islands Department of Human Services.
2. Senior Citizen Education Program students will present verifying documents to the Access and Enrollment Services Office on either campus. A form will be provided which eligible students will present to the University’s Cashier’s Office so payment may be waived.
3. Senior Citizen Education Program students will present proof of prerequisites for courses for which they wish to receive credit. Those who wish to audit need not present such evidence. Auditors attend class regularly, do all coursework that is not graded, and do not earn grades or academic credit.
NOTE: As for all students, those making use of this benefit are required to observe the University regulations published in the catalog and other University publications.