The VIATF is committed to building better lives for the disabled citizens in the Virgin Islands and their families by offering citizens access to low-interest bank loans to purchase assistive technology (AT) devices and services
VIATF offers people with disabilities access to low-interest bank loans to purchase assistive technology (AT) devices and services. Under VIATF, the cost of the borrowed money is significantly reduced.
Any Virgin Islands resident who has a disability and/or any family member or guardian of a person with a disability can apply for the loan. The applicant must satisfy the standard bank loan requirement which is mainly the ability to repay the loan.
Examples of Assistive Technology Needs, Devices and Services
- Aids for Daily Living - Special tools for daily activities, like brushing teeth or dressing, and specially designed bathroom devices for people needing help with self-care.
- Visual Aids - Large print books, books on tape, magnifiers, and Braille that five the blind and those with low vision access to information.
- Assisted Listening - Hearing aids, amplifiers, captions on TV, and typing phones that help the Deaf.
- Augmentative/Alternative Communication - Picture boards, battery-operated communication devices, communication software and computer that allows those who cannot speak to communicate.
- Computer - Based Instruction- Software to help students with learning difficulties in reading, writing, math and other subject areas.
- Mobility - Wheelchairs, walkers, scooters and adapted bicycles that have limitation allow people with physical or visual disability to move about.
- Positioning - Adjustable chairs, tables, standers, wedges and straps that help people with physical disabilities remain in a proper alignment for learning without becoming fatiged.
- Home Modification- Ramps, hand grips/rails, lifts and door openers.
Please visit our AT Inventory
The Application Process
- Obtain an application package from VIATF Office. Phone (340) 776-9200, ext. 2334 or (340) 692-1919.
- Complete and sign the application and return it to the VIATF.
- Provide verification of income, or if self-employed a copy of your most recent financial statement from the bank.
- Once approved, attend a closing at the bank where you will receive your check to purchase the necessary assistive device and/or service.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Request an Application
VIATF offers people with disabilities access to low-interest bank loans to purchase assistive technology (AT) devices and services. Under VIATF, the cost of the borrowed money is significantly reduced. Minimum $300.00 Maximum $15,000.00.