Updated: October 12, 2009
News and Information related to
National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)
President Obama's Initiative during NDEAM
President Obama Announces New Initiatives During National Disability Employment Awareness Month.
"My Administration is committed to ensuring that all Americans have the chance to fulfill their potential and contribute to our nation," said President Obama. "Across this country, millions of people with disabilities are working or want to work, and they should have access to the support and services they need to succeed. As the nation’s largest employer, the Federal Government and its contractors can lead the way by implementing effective employment policies and practices that increase opportunities and help workers achieve their full potential. We must also rededicate ourselves to fostering an inclusive work culture that welcomes the skills and talents of all qualified employees. That’s why I’ve asked the responsible agencies to develop new plans and policies to help increase employment across America for people with disabilities."
ADA Amendments Act Update
The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) was enacted on September 25, 2008, and became effective on January 1, 2009. This law made a number of significant changes to the definition of disability. Congress directed EEOC to amend its ADA regulation to reflect the changes made by the ADAAA, which is why EEOC has approved a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM). The NPRM was published in the Federal Register on September 23, 2009. Click below for the full release.
Free NDEAM Posters
US DOL, Office of Disability Employment Policy has free posters available for any interested in celebrating National Disability Employment Awareness Month.
Job Accommodation Network Update on Workplace Accommodations: Low Cost High Impact
Recent U.S. Census Statistics regarding people with disabilities:
Upcoming Events (please visit our community calendar for more information on these events)
STTJ (St. Thomas and St. John including Water Island)
STX (St. Croix)
- American Sign Language Class (STTJ and STX)- August- December 2009.
- "Including Samuel" Movie Awareness Night (STTJ)- October 2, 2009.
- University of the Virgin Islands Health Fair (STTJ) - October 8, 2009.
- Voices that Count Annual Conference (STX) and (STTJ)- October 21st and 23rd respectively.
- Parent Advocacy Training (STTJ)- October 24, 2009.
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month workshops for Employees/Jobseekers with Disabilities and Employers- (STTJ) and (STX)- October 26th and 27th respectively.
- Virgin Islands Seizure Disorder Support Group (STTJ)- October 29, 2009.
- Autism Awareness Activity Day (STT)- November 29, 2009.