A. Required courses in Freshman Studies (required for anyone admitted into the program with fewer than 24 credits): Credits
SCI 100 The Natural World: The Caribbean 3
SSC 100 An Introduction to the Social Sciences:
A Caribbean Focus 3
FDS 100 Freshman Development Seminar 1
B. The general education requirements (see the Division for specific details)
C. Required Education courses: Credits
EDU 221 Foundations of Education 3
EDU 230 Educational Psychology 3
EDU 250 Curriculum Development and Instruction 3
EDU 302 Introduction to Special Education 3
EDU 350 Instructional Design and Technology 2
EDU 351 Classroom Management 2
EDU 450 Measurement and Evaluation in Education 2
EDU 497 Seminar in Secondary Teaching 2
EDU 469 Student Teaching in the Secondary School 6
D. Required course(s) in Psychology: Credits
PSY 120* General Psychology 3
*Partially fulfills the general education requirements
E. Requirements in the Major
The following applies to out-of-state students not regularly attending the University of the Virgin Islands:
1. Eligibility. Only students formally recommended by schools of education of accredited colleges and universities, or involved in an exchange arrangement that the University of the Virgin Islands has approved with another college or university, will be eligible for acceptance for enrollment in EDU 452, EDU 469/497 (Student Teaching and Seminar). In approving any such requests, priority will be given to graduates of the Virgin Islands secondary school system enrolled in mainland colleges and universities.
2. Acceptance. Acceptance of any outside students will be on a “space-available” basis, with priority given to University of the Virgin Islands students.
3. Status. Outside students enrolled in EDU 452, EDU 469/497 may attend the University of the Virgin Islands on a part-time status only, unless special circumstances exist which warrant an exception. For example, an exchange relationship with another university may involve full-time students who, as part of their over-all program, will enroll in EDU 452,EDU 469/497. Exceptions may be made only by the Senior Vice President and Provost.
4. Instruction and Credits. All outside students taking EDU 452, EDU 469/497 must conform to University of the Virgin Islands policies regarding contact hours, supervision, credits, etc., which apply to University of the Virgin Islands students. No special arrangements can be made in this regard.
5. Fee schedule. Outside students will be required to pay a special fee of $470.00, plus tuition, to cover costs associated with their enrollment.
6. Department of Education. These policies have been approved by the Commissioner of Education. All students seeking admission into EDU 452, EDU 469/497 must receive the prior agreement of the Department of Education to do their student teaching in the local public school system.