Area: Ecology and Management of Tropical Fisheries and Coral Reefs
Abstract of Research: One primary research area addresses the effectiveness of Marine Fishery Reserves as management tools for enhancing and protecting fishery and marine resources. Several studies focus on the effect of MPA's on fish assemblages inside and outside MPA's including measuring critical population parameters of grouper spawning aggregations such as breeding population density, size structure and sex ratios. Other areas of fishery related research include identifying essential fish habitats for reproduction and settlement of reef fishes, spatial and temporal variation in larval fish supply, settlement and post-settlement processes, and quantitative assessment of seagrass beds and mangrove lagoons as nursery habitats for fisheries production. The other primary area of research involves monitoring the effects of land development, sedimentation and water quality on coral abundance, diversity and condition. Large-scale assessments of coral reefs and associated fish assemblages have been conducted throughout the US and British Virgin Islands have helped to determine patterns in coral reefs.
- Roy A. Armstrong, Hanumant Singh, Juan Torres, Richard S. Nemeth, Ali Can, Chris Roman, Ryan Eustice, Lauren Riggs, Graciela Garcia-Moliner (2006) Characterizing the deep insular shelf coral reef habitat of the Hind Bank marine conservation district (US Virgin Islands) using the Seabed autonomous underwater vehicle. Continental Shelf Research 26: 194Ð205
- Nemeth, R.S., (2005) Linking larval history to juvenile demography in the bicolor damselfish Stegastes partitus (Perciformes: Pomacentridae). Int. J. Trop. Biol. 53 (Suppl. 1): 155-163.
- Nemeth, R.S., (2005) Population characteristics of a recovering US Virgin Islands red hind spawning aggregation following protection . Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 286: 81Ð97.
- Whiteman, E.A, C.A. Jennings, R.S. Nemeth, (2004) Sex structure and potential female fecundity in a Epinephelus guttatus spawning aggregation: applying ultrasonic imaging Journal of Fish Biology. 66, 983Ð995.
- Nemeth, R.S., A. Quandt, L. Requa, P. Rothenberger and M. Taylor. (2002). A rapid assessment of coral reefs in the Virgin Islands (Part 1: stony corals and algae). Atoll Res. Bull. (in press).
- Nemeth, R.S., L.D. Whaylen and C. Pattengill-Semmens. (2002). A rapid assessment of coral reefs in the Virgin Islands (Part 2: fishes). Atoll Res. Bull. (in press).
- Nemeth, R.S., and J. Sladek Nowlis. (2001) Monitoring the effects of land development on the near-shore reef environment. Bull. Mar. Sci. 69(2):759-775.
- Nemeth, R.S., (2000) The effects of sedimentation from coastal development on coral bleaching. Proceedings of the 6th Non-Point Source Pollution Conference. December 6-7, 2000. St. Croix, US Virgin Islands. Pp. 1-12.
- Nemeth, R.S., (1999) Monitoring Water Quality and Sedimentation from Land Development to Evaluate Best Management Practices. Proceedings of the 5th Nonpoint Source Pollution Conference. May 19 - 20, 1999 St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands. Pp. 1-11.
- Nemeth, R.S., (1998) The effect of natural variation in substrate architecture on the survival of juvenile bicolor damselfish. Environ. Biol. Fishes. 53:129-141.
- Tolimieri, N., P.F. Sale, R.S. Nemeth, K.B. Gestring. (1998) Replenishment of populations of Caribbean reef fishes: are spatial patterns of recruitment consistent through time? J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 230:55-71.
- Nemeth, R.S., (1997) Spatial patterns of bicolor damselfish populations in Jamaica and St. Croix are determined by similar post-settlement processes. Proc. 8th. Int. Coral Reef Symp.1:1017-1022
- Armstrong, D.A., P.A. Dinnel, J.M. Orensanz, J.L. Armstrong, T.L. McDonald, R.F. Cusimano, R.S. Nemeth, M.L. Landolt, J.R. Skalski, R.F. Lee, and R.J. Huggett. (1995) Status of selected bottomfish and crustacean species in Prince William Sound following the Exxon Valdez oil spill. P.G. Wells, J.N. Butler and J.S. Hughes, eds. In: Exxon Valdez oil spill: fate and effects in Alaskan waters. ASTM, Philadelphia. pp 485-547.
- Quinn, T.P., R.S. Nemeth, and D.O. McIsaac. (1991) Patterns of homing and straying by fall chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) in the Lower Columbia River. Trans. Am. Fish. Soc. 120:150-156.