Apply to the Honors Program
Students in the UVI Honors Program begin with excellence, develop leadership, and apply both to action: in and out of the classroom, on campus and off, in the Virgin Islands community and beyond. The UVI Honors Program seeks to produce exceptional scholars and citizens by providing participants with enriched intellectual, leadership and outreach experiences designed to cultivate thoughtful, deliberate, articulate, ethically grounded, globally connected and actively contributing members of society.
Students will be admitted to the Honors Program through approval of their application to the Honors Council upon matriculation into the University and satisfaction of the Honors Program entrance requirements in mathematics and English. The Honors Council will take into consideration for admission a combination of the following factors: SAT/ACT scores, previous academic records including grades and academic rank, evidence of creative and/or scholastic ability recommendations from previous instructors and/or mentors, interviews, and such other factors as the Honors Council finds appropriate in evaluating the potential of the applicant to successfully complete the program.
The UVI Honors Program seeks to produce exceptional scholars and citizens by providing participants with enriched intellectual, leadership and outreach experiences designed to cultivate thoughtful, deliberative, articulate, ethically grounded, globally connected and actively contributing members of society.
As an Honors student at the University of the Virgin Islands, you will shape, sustain and represent the University's Culture of Excellence. The program's goals are to cultivate in Honors students the values, attitudes and behaviors of high performance, leadership, personal accountability and continuous learning.
- You will demonstrate academic leadership, through distinguished high performance, active participation in discussion, original research and inquiry beyond the classroom.
- You will demonstrate leadership through action, in student organizations, student government and community activism.
- You will demonstrate campus leadership through positive, constructive, moral and ethical conduct.
Through active participation in classroom experiences, special events and activities designed to motivate and inspire you to your best self; mentoring relationships with faculty and distinguished alumni; focused, original research; and involvement in the greater Virgin Islands community, the UVI Honors Program is a platform from which you can launch your future endeavors.
In order to remain in the program and graduate with Honors, student participants must:
- Maintain a GPA of 3.3.
- Accept a leadership role in ensuring adherence to the UVI student code of conduct and demonstrate their personal adherence to that code.
- Receive a grade of B or better in each of three required Honors courses and in two additional Honors designated courses, one of which must be in their major.
- Complete and report on a structured educational experience, planning for which must be developed with their Honors advisor/mentor and approved by the Honors Council, by the end of their junior year.
- Complete and report on a professional outreach experience, planning for which must be developed with their Honors advisor/mentor and approved by the Honors Council, by the end of their junior year.
- Complete and satisfactorily defend a thesis or project in their senior year.
- Honors students may be granted probationary status for only one semester by the Honors Council if their overall grade point average falls below 3.3.
Participation in the Honors Program and successful completion of its requirements will be included in student transcripts and acknowledged on degrees.
For More Information Contact
Dean of Innovation and Student Success