Our doctoral program is academically rigorous, emphasizes applied research, and employs a scholar-practitioner model.
The Ph.D. in Creative Leadership for Innovation and Change at the University of the
Virgin Islands are accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education
in the United States.
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
This Ph.D. program will uniquely prepare students to affect positive change in their organizations by concentrating on the disciplines of leadership and creativity. In this PhD program, students will embark on extensive study of leadership knowledge, through a lens of creative problem solving. Students can then apply this advanced knowledge in organizational, creativity, and educational leadership toward developing innovative change practice(s), leading their government, non-governmental or academic institutions and other complex human organizations toward a better future.
The program consists of a core curriculum of 18 credits that serve as a foundation for advanced study of leadership and creativity, followed by a series of courses in research methods comprising 9 credits, and continues on into specialization tracks that fit students’ interests. The degree culminates with a dissertation that reflects new knowledge and insights in areas relevant to the students’ experience and context.
The program, courses and advising is designed to be delivered virtually, for maximum flexibility. Students are enrolled in cohorts to promote community, and expected to complete a residency requirement.
Applications are accepted at any time and cohorts begin in the Summer.
Program Admission Requirements
1. A master’s degree in a related area from an accredited college or university.
Applicants with a bachelor's degree may apply to a UVI master's degree with an intent
to seek a CLIC PhD. Please discuss this with CLIC program director.
2. Submit a personal statement regarding their desire and motivation for attaining the CLIC’s Ph.D. degree. The statement: A 1000-word essay indicating why they are seeking acceptance into the Creative Leadership for Innovation and Change Ph.D. program.
3. Two (2) letters of recommendation. Ideally, these letters should be from people in a position to address the applicant’s ability to perform at the Ph.D. level, as well as relevant experiences he or she has had with the applicant. The letters of recommendation should address the potential of the applicant for success in a rigorous Ph.D. program.
4. RESUME OR CV: Submit an up-to-date version of resume or CV, include any research experiences or other background and life experiences relevant to attaining a doctoral degree.
5. Transcripts (unofficial may be submitted for application) from previously attended institutions.
Two previous academic papers, preferably from different disciplines. The applicant's name and the degree to which the paper was written must be written clearly on the first page of each paper. Other examples of writing may be substituted.
An interview (Virtual) with CLIC Program Director may be requested in addition to 5 required application materials.
For More Information Contact
|Call 1-877-Go-To-UVI (1-877-468-6884)
|For questions about the program
|Dr. James Maddirala, Program Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Questions about Admissions/Application
|Ms. Keisha Ramtahal, email@example.com
|All other questions or not sure?
|Ms. Tessa Liburd, firstname.lastname@example.org