The Certificate in Public Administration (PAC) is a post-baccalaureate certificate designed to provide topical learning of administration at various levels of government (local, state and federal), as well as non-profit and quasi-governmental organizations. This certificate is an ideal steppingstone for completing a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree.
Students are required to complete a minimum of four 500-600 level graduate courses (a total of 12 credit hours) in Public Administration. The PAC allows students opportunities to take graduate courses that will hone their disciplinary knowledge (i.e. public budgeting, human resource management, leadership, organizational theory and administrative law). All students in the PAC program will be required to take PUA 500 (Introduction to Public Administration).
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: All applicants must meet the following requirements...
- Have an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution;
- Have a 2.5 undergraduate GPA on a 4.00 scale and a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution;
- Have completed two semesters of Statistics/Quantitative Methods.
Applicants who do not satisfy the minimum GPA requirement, may be admitted to matriculated status, if they have substantial relevant professional experience and approved by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS: All courses must be completed at the University of the Virgins Islands. All students are required to complete the following course (3 credit hours) listed below:
- PUA 500 Introduction to Public Administration 3 credits
Students must complete three courses (9 credit hours) from the courses listed below.
- PUA 520 Administrative Theories and Practices 3 credits
- PUA 521 Public Program Seminar 3 credits
- PUA 526 Quantitative Methods for Public Administration 3 credits
- PUA 527 Administrative Law 3 credits
- PUA 531 Group Processes and Leadership 3 credits
- PUA 533 Personnel Administration 3 credits
- PUA 534 Budget Management 3 credits
- PUA 523 Recent Developments in Public Administration 3 credits
- PUA 524 Comparative Administration 3 credits
- PUA 528 Labor/Management Relations 3 credits
- PUA 532 Government, Business and Society 3 credits
- PUA 536 Selected Topics in Public Administration 3 credits
- PUA 535 Public Program Planning 3 credits
- PUA 548 Ethics in Public Administration 3 credits
- PUA 550 Social Entrepreneurship in the Public & Non-Profit Sector 3 credits
- PUA 552 Public Relations and Communication in Administration 3 credits