Emerging Caribbean Scientists (ECS) Programs offer scholarships, research experiences, mentoring, and academic support programs to St. Thomas or St. Croix undergraduate students pursuing
STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) careers. The ECS mission
is to increase research training and promote excellence for all STEM students. The ECS Honors Fund was created to support our mission and vision.
Listed below are some of our current programs which need additional support:
• Student Excellence Awards - Awards, gift certificates, and prizes for winners of the Fall Research Symposia. Typically there are three winners at each symposium. Monetary or material prizes valued from $25 to $500 (or above) are highly appreciated.
• Summer Undergraduate Research Experiences (SURE) - Pprovides opportunities for STEM majors to apply research methods and techniques by working closely with faculty on challenging scientific problems for 6 to 8 weeks. Sponsor a SURE student for $5,600 per summer.
• Summer Sophomore Research Institute (SSRI) - Provides research opportunities for students majoring in science, mathematics or engineering with cumulative GPAs between 2.0 and 3.0. In this 6-week residential program, students will learn basic research methods and techniques with the assistance of research mentors. Sponsor a student for $6,000 per summer. Opportunities for incoming freshmen to participate is also available.
• ECS Honors Research Scholarship - International/foreign students that are not US citizens or permanent residents are not eligible for federal financial aid or our federally supported scholarship and research programs. We seek your kind donations to support research opportunities, travel to national scientific conference, and scholarships for international STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) students. Click here for current costs for UVI tuition and fees.
• Math Behind the Science Bridge Program - This is a six week, residential, summer enrichment program designed to prepare students to enter the introductory calculus course and provide a foundation for success as a STEM major. Sponsor this bridge program for $25,000 per year or $5,600 per student/year.
The demand for highly trained STEM professionals is on the rise. With your support, more Caribbean students will gain exposure to science research careers and opportunities, increasing the competitiveness of the Caribbean workforce.
- Great News! AT&T gives $28,000 to support students in the Math Behind the Science Program (Nov. 18, 2013)
Our STEM scholarship and research programs were developed by institutional grants from the National Science Foundation HBCU-UP Program, the National Institute of Health MARC Program and NIGMS RISE Program. These short-term grants allow us to assess the feasibility of long-term implementation. Federal funding for these programs will eventually run out and we need your help to continue these valuable programs.