UVI's Emerging Caribbean Scientists (ECS) Program strives to increase interdisciplinary research training and promote excellence for science and mathematics students at the UVI. We offer a variety of programs for undergraduate students at UVI and local high school students as well.
ECS scholarship and summer research applications deadline is due February 28th of each year. Applications for the Math Behind the Science are typically due in the month of May. The application forms become available a few months before the deadline. Make sure to check the ECS Homepage regularly for updates.
To be considered, students must complete an application form, have a minimum grade point average depending on the program, and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Undergraduate research programs are for students enrolled at UVI full time. For more information related to our programs, contact us by email at email@example.com.
Scholarship and Research Programs For Undergraduates:
- NIH MARC Research Trainee Program - Provides seminars, mentoring, scholarships, research stipends, and funding for off-island research experiences for undergraduate students interested in earning a Ph.D. in Biomedical Science. Eligible majors include Psychology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Marine Biology.
- NSF HBCU-UP Research Fellowship Program - Offers mentoring and stipends for student research experiences in all Science and Mathematics fields.
- NIH RISE Research Scholars Program - Includes seminars and mentoring for students interested in careers in biomedical research. Eligible majors are Biology, Psychology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science and Marine Biology.
- DOE Cybersecurity Fellowship - For students interested in careers in cybersecurity, a new multi-disciplinary field involving processes and technologies deployed to protect critical infrastructures and data from vulnerabilities or attacks. Majors in mathematics, computer science, applied math, chemistry, biology, or marine biology with a minor in computational science are eligible.
- NASA Scholars - TBA
Summer Programs for STEM Undergraduates:
- Summer Boost Program - For UVI freshmen and sophomores that need a "boost" in their academics. The program provides funding to cover tuition to retake a class during summer session 1 and then students participate in an immersive program that involves training in creativity and innovation in the Internet of Things.
- Summer Sophomore Research Institute (SSRI) - Summer stipends and housing for Biology, Chemistry, Marine Biology, Physics, Engineering, Mathematics, and Computer Science sophomores & juniors to research and attend research methods workshops within their disciplines.
- Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) - Summer stipends (and housing assistance, if needed) while researching with a faculty mentor, and attending weekly research meetings and presentations.
Summer Programs for Local Youth including High School Students & New Freshmen:
- Summer Freshman Research Institute (SFRI) - This program provides the unique opportunity for outstanding high school graduates interested in pursuing STEM majors at UVI to engage in research at UVI the summer before entering college as freshmen in the Fall. The structure is similar to the SSRI Program. Stipends and housing are provided.
- NSF HBCU-UP Math Behind the Science summer bridge program - 6-week residential program to prepare students to enter calculus and provide a foundation for success in other studies. Field trips will enhance connections to biology, chemistry, physics and the environment.
- CyberCamp VI - Multi-week camp for local 6th to 12th graders who are interested in learning how to code and also who would like to enter the next round of the Cyber Patriot competition. Program is offered on both St. Thomas and St. Croix.