- News: Two UVI MARC alumni receive prestigious NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Click here to read more...
The MARC program is funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and is administered by program director Dr. Teresa Turner. ECS scholars supported by MARC are interested in a career in biomedical research, work closely with faculty mentors on research projects, and have specific responsibilities. The MARC program supports 8 UVI students per year, four juniors and four seniors. Each year, during the call for ECS applications, 4 new junior MARC Trainees are selected from the applicant pool.
To be a MARC scholar, a student must have a UVI GPA of 3.0 or above. Students must also be a US citizen or permanent resident, must graduate in 2 years, and be a full time student pursuing a BS degree with a major in mathematics, chemistry, biology, marine biology, computer science, or psychology. MARC is an honors program and scholars follow a strict curriculum.
- 60% of tuition and fees paid
- Stipend of $1,000/month
- Work with the mentor on research project; supplies provided
- Travel to scientific meeting. MARC Scholars present annually at ABRCMS.
- Funding to participate in off island summer research opportunities
- Special workshops and help in applying to graduate schools and special summer programs
Alice Stanford, PhD
College of Science and Mathematics
University of the Virgin Islands
St. Thomas, VI 00802
- Press Release Announcing UVI's $1.5 Million NIH Grant Renewal for MARC Program
- List of NIH - National Institute of General Medical Sciences - Research Training Programs
- MARC U*STAR Programs
- NIH PREP Programs
- ABRCMS National Research Conference
STEM research programs at UVI (including MARC, RISE, HBCU-UP, SURE, and SSRI) are managed by the Emerging Caribbean Scientists (ECS) Program. ECS offers ONE convenient application (available on the ECS Homepage) for students interested in being considered for these exceptional opportunities. The online application form and all supporting materials are due each year on February 28th.