UVI's Emerging Caribbean Scientists (ECS) Program strives to increase interdisciplinary research training and promote excellence for science and mathematics students at the UVI. We offer a variety of programs for undergraduate students at UVI and local high school students as well.
ECS scholarship and summer research applications deadline is due February 28th of each year. Applications for the Math Behind the Science are typically due in the month of May. The application forms become available a few months before the deadline. Make sure to check the ECS Homepage regularly for updates.
To be considered, students must complete an application form, have a minimum grade point average depending on the program, and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Undergraduate research programs are for students enrolled at UVI full time. For more information related to our programs, contact us by email at email@example.com.
Scholarship and Research Programs For Undergraduates:
- NIH U-RISE Research Trainee Program - Provides seminars, mentoring, scholarships, research stipends, and funding for off-island research experiences for undergraduate students interested in earning a Ph.D. in Biomedical Science. Eligible majors include Psychology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry, and Marine Biology.
- NIH RISE Research Scholars Program - Includes seminars and mentoring for students interested in careers in biomedical research. Eligible majors are Biology, Psychology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science and Marine Biology.
- NASA Scholars
- Data Management
Summer Programs for STEM Undergraduates:
- Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) - Summer stipends while researching with a faculty mentor, and attending weekly research meetings and presentations.
- SEAS Marine Science Research Internships
Summer Programs for Local Youth including High School Students & New Freshmen:
- UVI Math Behind the Science summer bridge program - 6-week residential program to prepare students to enter calculus and provide a foundation for success in other studies. Field trips will enhance connections to biology, chemistry, physics and the environment.