College of Science and Mathematics
Department of Chemical and Physical Sciences
Associate of Science in Physics
Major Program Skills: The program at UVI follows a rigorous curriculum that will allow them to pursue a BS in Physics, complete a BS in Chemistry degree, an engineering degree or employment upon graduation.
- Theoretical skills: Newtonian mechanics (linear and rotational), electricity, magnetism,
optics, sound, relativity, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics
- Benchmark courses: PHY 241-242 and/or PHY 311 and/or PHY 321
- Proficiency at all levels is measured using lecture exams and laboratory reports.
- Laboratory skills: measurement, data analysis, linking lecture material to laboratory
measurement, reporting results.
- Benchmark courses: PHY 242-242 L and PHY 350
- Proficiency is measured by laboratory reports
- Communication skills: oral scientific communication and written scientific communication.
- Benchmark courses: PHY 241-242 L and PHY 350