The College of Science and Mathematics has developed research programs for faculty
and students through funding from:
- NSF's VI Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (VI-EPSCoR)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Minority Biomedical Research Support-Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement program (MBRS-RISE)
- NIH's Undergraduate Research Training Initiative for Student Enhancement (U-RISE) Program
- NSF's Southeast Alliance for Graduate Education to the Professorate (SEAGEP) Project
The college encourages faculty-student research projects and excellence in undergraduate
education and undergraduate preparation for post baccalaureate study and the workforce.
- Caribbean Green Technology Center
- The Caribbean Green Technology center is an initiative that is housed in the College of Science and Mathematics at the University of the Virgin Islands. The facility opened in response to the growing need for the advancement and development of alternative and renewable energy technology in the Virgin Islands and the Eastern Caribbean territory by extension. The organization’s main aim is to become the driving force in promoting the urgent transition towards the use of sustainable renewable energy by fostering research and education and workforce development.
- Emerging Caribbean Scientists (ECS) Programs
- The mission of the ECS Programs is to increase research training and promote excellence for students at the University of the Virgin Islands. Though many students participating in the ECS activities are supported directly through federal grant programs, the ECS program reaches all students through student professional development workshops and scientific presentations by faculty and visiting scientists, as well as through curriculum development. Research Symposia are sponsored yearly by the College of Science and Mathematics and the Emerging Caribbean Scientists Programs.
- Etelman Observatory
- The New Etelman Observatory serves as a center for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education excellence, a venue for public science outreach activities, and a fundamental astrophysics and geophysics research station. The Etelman Observatory is proud to be the only research-grade optical telescope in the Caribbean and the most powerful optical telescope ever available in the Caribbean region for use by the general public.
- Virgin Islands Marine Advisory Service (VIMAS)
- Cybersecurity Workforce Development Program
- Water Resources Research Institute (WRRI)
- VI Institute for STEM Education Research & Practice