Dr. LaVerne E. Ragster - UVI's Fourth President (2002-2009)
LaVerne E. Ragster was born and raised on St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. She graduated from Charlotte Amalie High School in 1969. Her educational career included completion of a B.S. in biology and chemistry (University of Miami) in 1973, a M.S. in biology (San Diego State University - algal physiology concentration) in 1975 and a Ph.D. in biology (University of California, San Diego - plant biochemistry concentration) in 1980.
During the first 10 years of her career, Dr. Ragster served as part of the teaching faculty at the (College first, then in 1986) University of the Virgin Islands, where she was promoted from assistant professor to professor of marine biology.
Additionally, she has held positions such as chair of the Division of Science and Mathematics, faculty trustee to the UVI Board of Trustees, acting vice president for Research and Land Grant Affairs, vice president for Research and Public Service, and senior vice president and provost at UVI. Dr. Ragster helped to link UVI to other higher education institutions in the region when she served as sub-secretary general for the Association of Caribbean Universities and Research Institutes (UNICA) and as the coordinator of the Consortium of Caribbean Universities for Natural Resource Management.
Dr. Ragster works with a number of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and regional organizations, including the Caribbean Studies Association (past president), Caribbean Natural Resources Institute (board member, past chair of the board), Caribbean Conservation Association (past vice president), Island Resources Foundation (board member), The Nature Conservancy (board member) and the Caribbean Council for Science and Technology (USVI representative). During the last eight years she has published a number of papers on the role of natural resources in resource management and development, produced programs for the training of faculty and resource managers, and developed curriculum materials to teach natural resource management at the university level in the Caribbean.
- Resolution Passed (January 31, 2009)
- Board of Trustees Approved Shared Governance Framework (January 23, 2009)
- Shared Governance Conversation (May 14, 2008)
- Draft Shared Governance Framework (May 14, 2008)
- Draft Shared Governance Matrix (April 18, 2008)
- Shared Governance Model Conversation with Stakeholders (April 17, 2008)
- Draft Principles of Shared Governance (March 27, 2008)
- SGAC Response to President's Questions (February 2008)
- Study Trip Report (February 2008)
- SGAC Proposal for UVI Shared Governance (November 2, 2007)
- Site Visit Message to UVI Community Email message from Dr. LaVerne E. Ragster to the UVI Community concerning the upcoming reaccreditation site visit. (April 19, 2007)
- Newspaper Essay Regarding 'College Hill 4' The text of a newspaper essay by UVI President Dr. LaVerne E. Ragster. The essay appeared in the March 10-11, 2007, issue of the V.I. Daily News and the March 11-12, 2007, issue of The Avis. (March 12, 2007)
- Proposed Model for UVI Shared Governance (February 7, 2007)
- UVI Convocation - Fall 2006 (August 16, 2006)
- Message to UVI Faculty and Staff Comments from Dr. LaVerne E. Ragster on the opening day of Charter Week 2006 - following the Board of Trustees meeting of March 11, 2006. (March 13, 2006)
- Physical Plant & Security Employee Appreciation Day Proclamation by Dr. LaVerne E. Ragster, St. Thomas CEA John D'Orazio and St. Croix CEA Dr. Monique Guillory declaring the Eighth Day of February, 2006, to be recognized as Security and Physical Plant Employee Appreciation Day. (February 8, 2006)
- UVI Convocation - Spring 2006 (January 11, 2006)
- Remarks at Launch of the UCSIS Launch of the Universities Consortium for Small Island States (UCSIS) at Port Louis, Mauritius. (January 14, 2005)
- UVI Convocation - Fall 2004 (August 16, 2004)
- UVI Charter Day 2004 (March 16, 2004)
- UVI Convocation - Spring 2004 (January 20, 2004)
- UVI - Approaching the Future Dr. Ragster's presentation to UVI faculty and staff members focuses on the University's budget approach for fiscal year 2003-2004 and beyond. (September 18, 2003)
- UVI Convocation - Fall 2003 (August 15, 2003)
- UVI Strategy for Securing the Future A PowerPoint presentation made by Dr. LaVerne Ragster on Thursday, May 1, 2003, to members of the UVI faculty and staff in video-conferenced meetings on St. Thomas and St. Croix. (May 1, 2003)
- Inaugural Address of UVI's Fourth President The inaugural address given Dr. LaVerne Ragster on the occasion of her installation as the University's fourth president and first woman president. (March 16, 2003)
- Message to UVI Faculty and Staff Comments from Dr. LaVerne Ragster on the first anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks of 2001. (September 11, 2002)
- UVI Convocation - Fall 2002 (August 15-16, 2002)
- Message to UVI Faculty and Staff Greetings from UVI's new president on her first day in office. (August 1, 2002)