The Youth Ocean Explorers (YOE) Summer Program, which started in 2015, is a 4-week,
hands-on marine science program for middle to high school-aged students interested
in exploring our oceans. YOE utilizes best practices in science education and youth
development to provide a fun, unique and educational experience for students in grades
7-12. Each week, our team of informal science educators and youth mentors engage students
on various topics such as animal and plant identification, careers in marine science,
and environmental impacts to natural resources. Students can also earn their PADI
open water scuba certification from the Coki Dive Center and
Cane Bay Dive Shop which helps to further their love for the ocean! Dive in and join our Youth Ocean Explorers family today!
Meet Our Team!
Howard Forbes Jr.
A Summer Experience Like No Other!Where the ocean is your classroom! DONATE TODAY TO SUPPORT VI YOUTH IN STEM
Highlights from the Youth Ocean Explorers Summer Program
- Open to youth in grades 7-12 (ages 11-18).
- Should already know how to swim.
- First preference is given to youth from and/or currently residing in the Virgin Islands.
- Should have in interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
- Student should be able to attend the entire program. (Plan your vacation accordingly).
- Program operates for 4 consecutive weeks; July 3-28.
- Monday/Wednesday: Zoom sessions for 1 hour
Tuesday/Thursday/Friday: In-person field-based activities; full day (9:00 am - 4:00 pm)
- Scuba courses operate on weekends at the dive shop.
- Students meet daily through a combination of virtual and in person activities.
- Housing is not provided as this is not an overnight program.
- One-time registration fee of $400 which covers all program-related costs.
- Scholarships are available for local students which can cover registration and scuba costs.
- Registration for YOE opens each year on January 1 and closes firmly on May 1.
Let's Get You Registered!Registration consists of several components but can be completed on your own time.
Youth Ocean Explorers Registration
- REGISTRATION CLOSED UNTIL JAN 2024
- The YOE application consists of 2 parts; the Parent/Guardian Application and the Student Application. Both are required to be completed and submitted before May 1.
- Completed applications will be reviewed after May 1st and selected students will be notified via E-mail within the next 1-2 weeks (please check your E-mail regularly). We accept on average 10-20 students each year depending on funding.
- Selected applicants will be provided with additional paperwork to complete such as photo and liability release forms for field trips, scuba-related documents, and provided with information to process payment at the University's Cashiers Office. Information pertaining to scholarships and applying for a scholarship will be provided to selected applicants.
Contact Us!Our team is happy to help you.
Office Phone: (340) 693-1672
Find us on Facebook
Find us on Instagram
Virgin Islands Marine Advisory Service
Center for Marine and Environmental Studies
University of the Virgin Islands