JUNIOR OCEAN EXPLORERS SUMMER PROGRAM
The Junior Ocean Explorers (JOE) Summer Program is a continuous, 2 week, hands-on marine science program for students in grades 3-6 interested in learning more about our environment. JOE prioritizes teaching youth the basics and fundamentals of swimming and snorkeling. Engaging youth at this age is pivotal to increasing their interest in and curiosity within the marine sciences.
MEET OUR TEAM!Contact us if you are interested in joining our Ocean Explorers Team!
JOE PROGRAM OVERVIEWScroll through the photos below to familiarize yourself with the program.
- Open to youth in grades 3-6 (ages 7-11) who were either born in the U.S. Virgin Islands and/or currently reside in the USVI.
- Should have an interest in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics).
- Should have an interest in being in the outdoors (ocean, forests, nature, etc.).
- Student MUST be able to attend the entire program (Spaces are limited each year, so please plan your vacations accordingly if you wish to apply).
- Program operates for 2 weeks and focuses on swimming and snorkeling fundamentals blended with a brief overview of select marine and environmental based topics such as marine invertebrates, coastal plants, and marine debris.
- Students meet daily at UVI's Marine Science Center from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Lunches and snacks will be provided. (Please be sure to indicate ALL known allergies of the applicant (if applicable) when applying.
- Housing is not provided as this is NOT an overnight program.
- Registration for JOE opens each year on JANUARY 1 and closes firmly on APRIL 1.
- Your application consists of two parts: the PARENT APPLICATION and the STUDENT APPLICATION. Both are required and should be received no later than APRIL 1.
- Completed applications will be reviewed after APRIL 1; applicants will be notified of the selection process via E-mail.
- Selected applicants are required to pay a one-time program fee of $100 which covers all program-related costs such as student supplies, field trip expenses, and lunches.
JUNIOR OCEAN EXPLORERS REGISTRATIONLet's get you registered!
Contact Us!Our team is happy to assist you.
Virgin Islands Marine Advisory Service
Center for Marine and Environmental Studies
University of the Virgin Islands
#2 John Brewers Bay
St. Thomas, USVI 00802