2016 - 2017 Student Government Association President
#SGA LIT: "Leaders Inspiring Tommorrow" 2016-2017
Student Government Association (SGA) is concerned with improving the quality of student life through its many communication channels. SGA is recognized as the official representative of the student body and assists students by:
1. Providing opportunities for each student to participate in activities which develop and realize individual potentialities and leadership skills
2. Aiding in a meaningful interpretation of the concept of the "University Community"
SGA Standing Committees
Social and Cultural Committee
- The Social and Cultural Committee is responsible for programming, sponsoring, and encouraging recognized organizations on campus to sponsor a variety of cultural and social activities during the year.
- The Queens Committee is responsible for the selection of the Miss University of the Virgin Islands and soliciting contestants, planning, and implementation of the entire program for the selection of the queen.
- The Sports Committee is responsible for encouraging greater student participation in intercollegiate and intramural athletics, and for recommending improvements in the overall athletics program of the college.
Shadow Our Students Committee
- The Shadow Our Students Committee is responsible for planning and implementing the Shadow Our Students Program each year at the University of the Virgin Islands. The program over-arching goal is to show perspective students in the importance of higher education and to encourage them to seek their higher education at the University of the Virgin Islands.
- The Elections Committee is responsible for working closely with the Student Council and for carrying out general and special student elections.
Black Heritage Committee
- The Black Heritage Committee is responsible for planning and implementing programs of Black Cultural awareness during Black History celebrations in February of each year.
Academic Grievance Committee
- The Academic Grievance Committee is responsible for receiving all student academic grievances and assist the student(s) to prepare evidence for presentation to the division grievance committees of the University.
- The Food Committee is responsible for working closely with the Cafeteria Management and Student Affairs office for recommending improvements in the operations of and meals served by the cafeteria and snack bar.
- The Publications Committee is responsible for encouraging greater participation in and improving the quality of student publications.